Thursday, December 27, 2012

Post Race Highs and Lows

Following Desert Solstice I was physically wrecked. But the "runner's high" after a hundred miler is intense. For three days, I was on top the world; I was in Happy Land. It was more than just the good results; it was the endorphins coursing through my veins. The only thing keeping me from dancing Gangnam style in my kitchen was the muscle soreness.

Early in the week I felt like this
By Thursday, the soreness had abated. But so too had the adrenaline, and fatigue set in. Climbing stairs felt like I had cinderblocks dragging me down. Staying awake at work became a task in and of itself. And why do you have to lift your arms so high to wash your hair??

By Thursday, I felt more like this

In those days, the true run addiction rears its head. Certainly, that is no surprise to anyone - we all know those crazy ultrarunners are addicts anyway. It is not actually the high I was seeking to get back to, but just a way to get past the low. And so Friday, I was all over the internet. "Hey, I never considered Rocky Raccoon." "Hmmm, I wonder if I could get in to American River?" And, "Did you know there is another 24 hour track race in April?"

But time off is doing me well, and slowly plans for 2013 are starting to take shape.





No comments: