Friday, September 18, 2009

Taper Time in L.A.

AC100 was supposed to start at 5 am tomorrow morning. The forecast for the San Gabriel area on Saturday includes a high of 105! Sure, I was doing some heat training, but that still sounds WAY too hot to be a pleasant run in the mountains. That helps to dissipate my disappointment over the race's cancellation.

Even though the race isn't happening, we have still been in L.A. all week. I am not sure why, but for some reason vacations seem to be detrimental to my running. It should be the opposite; with nothing to do all day but run, it seems like I should have no problem getting my workouts done. But I am a girl of habit: I need schedules and order! So I had a few extra days off for things like my sister-in-laws wedding, Disneyland, and a long day with relatives. All in all, the cut backs probably are keeping in line with tapering, but I am glad I didn't have to do any major workouts this week.

Additionally, I am less inspired to run here because all of the great trails that are just minutes from my in-laws' house are all closed because of the fire (including Chantry Flats (mile 75ish of AC100), Mount Wilson trail, and Bailey Canyon). No use driving either - everything in the nearby towns are all closed, too. There's been a lot of speculation that the fire damage will be severe enough to keep the Angeles Crest Endurance Run from happening next year as well. It is so sad that somebody started the fire on purpose.

No comments: